Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Lets talk about cannabis

Cannabis. Marijuana. Skunk. Mary Jane. Green Sweets (according to Tulisa). There are many names to describe what can honestly be seen as a demonized drug in much of western society. I'm no scientist by any means, let's not get that confused, but hey I've got some time to kill and a weed post might just be able to fill that gap.



I freely admit I have used and abused weed, from smoking all day to just having a joint before bed. I feel maybe that gives me a little credit to go on and write this post. Due to college primarily, and the sake of saving up money, I'm giving the herb a miss on most days. I know where my priorities are.. I think.

Anyway, here in Britain, it's almost become a taboo to politicians. They refuse to talk about it, despite many calls from their advisers that a drug policy change is needed. It's a class B drug, alongside cocaine and amphetamines, raised from a class C drug a few years back.

If caught, according to law, you should be slapped with an £80 fine on the spot, and may face up to five years in prison. What a fucking joke. In reality, we live in a 'decriminalized' state. If your caught with cannabis, as long as it's an amount you can call personal use, the police will simply take it, and give you a verbal caution. Obviously dealing and growing it leads to heavier consequences, but I'm going to keep this post as short as I can.

I didn't really want to sway into the law side of things, my firm belief still remains that the government should
only be able to advise us on what to put in our bodies, rather than actually banning certain substances. People will get a hold of what they want, legal or not. Anyhow.

I'm neither pro nor against cannabis. I've seen the positives and negatives first hand, and what can happen if it's use does spiral out of control. If a vote were to happen on legalization, then yeah, I'd most likely vote for it.

Too much of anything is bad, and this is particularly the case with cannabis. I've found it can help during stressful periods, but relying on it too much is an easy thing to do. I guess I've swayed in and out of cannabis addiction, some days I could do with a joint and others I'm fine.

With others it's another case. I watched a close friend of mine since childhood literally ruin his life through it. He's a paranoid wreck, always telling me the Illuminati are watching him, and that he has to drink bottled water because people want to poison him. It sounds more like a mental illness, and it probably is, but I'm certain it was cannabis related.


At the end of the day, kids these days are resorting to these so called 'legal highs', which are far more dangerous than pot, and have even resulted in deaths - which just isn't cool. Education and drug reforms are what, in my opinion, this country need. Street gangs in my area are raking in the profit from the laws on cannabis. That money could be used to fuel terrorism, arms dealing and fuck knows what else. I think we should look to states in America where marijuana is legal, and also to Amsterdam who has greatly benefited economy wise from the production and sale of cannabis to tourists.

Do I know what needs to be done? No. These goddamn politicians need to get their fingers out of their arses and take a look at what could potentially be a huge cash flow for the British economy, if controlled properly.

Legal or not, Friday afternoon is always settled with a beer and a heavily packed joint for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment