Thursday, 11 July 2013

Musical Tastes

That letter I was meant to hand in on Monday... still hasn't been handed in. Probably to no ones surprise, I expect. I'll try definitely hand it in next week.

This post is mostly about my musical tastes, which everyone, including my hugely annoyed neighbors have commented on (I'm sure they don't appreciate booming basslines at 3 in the morning).

My roots will always remain in British hip hop. There's just no escaping my love for the lyrical architecture that it produces. (Not be confused with Lil Wayne's so called 'hip hop'.) The hip hop I mean is gifted poets talking about meaningful subjects in life; poverty, depression, anger, failure, love - and our UK scene - particularly here in London - does it superbly.


TaskForce at their finest, digress these lyrics, they have real purpose to them.



My second musical love is EDM - electronic dance music. When I was younger, in my very early teens, I first heard Skrillex. It was love at first sight sound. It lasted briefly though, as I soon began to find older dubstep, drum & bass and jungle. I love it when a track - regardless of the genre - has meaning to it. Yeah, I guess you can see a pattern emerging here. The works of Chase & Status are some of my favorite.


                                   

Alas, I don't listen to EDM very much today. I guess there was a stage in my younger schooling years when me and the lads would all get into illegal raves and have some of the most memorable times of our lives there. The bass thumping, and often pure adrenaline like state was just irresistible. Or it could have been the drugs. I now listen to it occasionally, but go to clubs often, where I feel like I can appreciate the music more
than just blasting it on my system at home. One things for sure; EDM will always accompany some of my best memories I had of dark nights in parts of London we've never heard of.

And last, but certainly not least, is my most recent addition to my 'favorite genres'; rock n roll. This was a newly found love, and is sure to be a long and ever lasting one. The whole lifestyle it encompasses suits me completely. Drugs, sex, and rock n roll, right? 



But yeah, in all honestly, I listen to all different kinds of music, but these three are my current favorites.


These sleeping tablets are kicking in. Time for me to light a cig and get ready for bed.

I'll sign off here, peace all.

No comments:

Post a Comment